CBS News, Healthy Halloween Treats From Your Own Kitchen
I was recently on CBS Evening News sharing my favorite (NEW) recipes for a healthier Halloween. I love these recipes, and so did the crew!!
Take a look at how they came out. www.wusa9.com/video/default.aspx
The best part? They are so simple to make..
Large red or green apples
1) Cut a large apple into quarters, and remove the core and seeds.
2) Carve a wedge from the skin side of each quarter, and dipe exposed apple in organge juice to prevent browning. Press slivered almonds in place for teeth.
Wormy Mud Balls
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup almond butter (peanut butter is fine, too)
2 tbsp coconut butter or unsalted butter
1 cup chocolate rice cereal
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup dried fruit (goji berries were the choice used)
1) Add cereal, oats, and fruit to a large mixing bowl.
2) Melt honey, nut butter and butter over medium heat until smooth. This will take a minute or two.
3) Add to the dried mixture and fold gently. Scoop into cupcake liners and refrigerate for 15 minutes.These will last in the refrigerator for up to a week, covered.
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup salted peanuts
1 cup banana chips
2 cups peanut butter and chocolate organic cereal
2 cups pretzels
1 cup chocolate covered raisins
Combine all ingredients in a big Halloween bowl.
Substitute any ingredients you don’t care for or cannot find, the idea is the use some sweet and some salty. Go for as many organic ingredients as possible and try to include some protein (nuts) and fruits